Monday, July 19, 2010

Sandy gets new shoes


So one thing that we have read and talked to people about is changing out the stock 14” wheels. One of the tires was in poor condition when we purchased her. I know some people go to 16” wheels/tires but I believe there are some trade offs with doing that. I think considering how we are using her a 15” improvement will be great. Then was the question of what kind. I’m the kind of person that loves to have a cool look on my vehicle but I don’t feel like playing around with a bunch of stuff to get there. Basically, I wanted something that had a great look but I could bolt on without spacers or modifications.

I called the guys at van-café.com to get their opinion. They are good guys to work with and know their stuff. After talking with them and much research I decided to go with 4 South African Rhein Alloy wheels and 205/65/15 Nokian WRC tires. The WRC tread is a good all-weather pattern. The nice thing about van-café is that they will send them directly to Denny’s Garage (Our VW mechanic) and they are mounted, balanced and ready to bolt on. All you have to do is remove two small set bolts that hold the drum to the rear hub so that the rim will sit flush. I’m keeping the best original 14” wheel and tire for a spare. As long as you are running a 2wd you can have the difference in size. That way my spare will fit without a problem underneath the vehicle. If you go to a larger size you my have to deal with some slight modifications and a 16” would have to be mounted elsewhere. I don’t want to fool with that.
~Doug

No comments:

Post a Comment